It’s your time now! Your time to find yourself again or perhaps, find a new version of you that brings out more happiness. With these 20 adventurous activities just for you, your bound to find a start.
Whether you have 1 child or multiple children, your life has been consumed by their wants, needs, and desires. You spend countless hours driving them to and from their activities or appointments, hours of homework, caring for them when they are sick, or simply just being with them 24 hours a day because they are your responsibility. You spend your time dreaming of what it will be like when you finally get time just for you back- it’s almost hard to remember what it was like to have your own time.
So now that your kids are getting older, how do you fill that time you’ve been dreaming of? If 2020 taught us anything it’s that sitting idle is not good for our physical health and especially hard on our mental health.
Here are 20 adventurous activities and new hobbies just for you…
Interested in learning how to cook, or improve your existing cooking skills? Join a cooking class.
- Grow your cooking skills
- Improve your self-confidence
- Learn how to improve your diet by incorporating healthy options
- Help you learn how to meal plan, which could help you save time and money
- Familiarize yourself with new cooking tools
Learn an instrument
Maybe you’ve always been intrigued by the art of music? Learning to play an instrument would be a great activity to do.
- Playing an instrument is known to help relieve stress
- Strengthens your patience and perseverance
- Improved memory
- Builds self-confidence
- Increases your cognitive ability
Looking for a relaxing new hobby, gardening is a great way to beautify your yard while enjoying some quiet relaxing time for yourself.
- Improve your home’s landscape and curb appeal
- Visit your local garden shop for gardening classes with tips and tricks for your region
- Check out your local farmers market for seedlings to plant
- Grow vegetables
- Grown herbs
- Enjoy the peace and relaxation of gardening
- Join your local farmers market as a vendor to sell your homegrown plants
Dust off that old camera you have sitting in your closet, and start taking pictures! What do you love? Nature, animals, sunsets/sunrises, family – take pictures! You can find classes through your local camera shop and sometimes photographers offer personalized classes.
- Learn photography tricks
- Learn to edit
- Learn to publish
- Express yourself through your photographs
- Capture those special moments
Get in the car and go! Destination, anywhere a car ride away.
- Try a new small town restaurant
- Walk nature trails
- Shop the local small businesses
- You won’t need to spend extra money on lodging or flights
Join A Sports Team
Do you reminisce of your high school glory day? Show them what you still got!
- Get quality exercise
- Connect with old friends and new people
- Relive your youth
- Enjoy a victory
- Low cost and sometimes free activity
Join a vacation group
Love to travel? There are actually groups that are geared to all different lifestyles that vacation together, with destinations all over the world.
- Visit new destinations
- Make new friends
- Book excursions to explore remote areas
- Enjoy new cultures
- Try foreign foods
Foster a pet
There is a great need for fostering animals. Fostering a pet is an amazing way to fill your heart and time .
- You are saving the life of an animal
- You are easing the burden on shelters
- You can choose what type of animal you would like to foster
- Fostering is temporary (unless you should decide to adopt, which is great too)
- Great socialization for your current pet(s)
Always wanted to learn how to make that beautiful hat or sweater, but were afraid to try? Don’t be!
- Can alleviate stress, anxiety, and depression
- It can help slow cognitive decline
- Helps to prevent joint and tendon problems in your hands
- It can be relaxing and fun
- Creates confidence and pride
How great would it be to have fresh eggs every morning? Chickens are one of the easiest animals to keep and the benefits are excellent.
- Inexpensive to purchase
- Fresh eggs daily
- Require minimal upkeep
- Can be trained to be your friend and follow you around the yard
- Doesn’t require a lot of yard space
Start a blog
Start a blog! (This is my personal favorite) What better way to spend your time than writing content that you believe in and sharing it with the world.
- Writing can be therapeutic
- An opportunity to connect with like minded people
- A platform to bring your life skills and knowledge to the world
- A form of income
Cake decorating classes
Looking for a way to impress your family and friends? Learn to decorate cakes and bring your creation to the next party. Everybody loves cake!
- Meet new friends
- Learn a fun skill
- Inspires creativity
- You’re sure to be invited to the next party
Join an exercise class. There is nothing but benefits from getting yourself in better health.
- Feel better
- Look better
- Improvement in sleep
- Become part of a healthy community
- Hold yourself accountable
- Find inspiration from a group setting
Take a hike! Literally, get out there and climb that mountain or obstacle you’ve been afraid of.
- Build physical strength
- Enjoy exercise in the fresh air of nature
- Improve balance
- Decrease anxiety
- Good for your heart and cardiovascular system
If you love dogs and service projects, dog training might be a great idea. There are programs all throughout the country that offer dog training certification classes to get you on your way
- Work with lovable puppies and dogs everyday
- Help rescue groups
- Help improve someone else’s life with your skills
- Get paid to do something you love
Bring out your inner Vincent van Gogh, and go go go!
- Helps to keep your motorskills sharp
- Inspires creativity
- Increases your memory muscles
- Pushes you outside of your comfort zone
Journaling is a great way to start documenting life’s events.
- An outlet for your mental health
- Keep your journals private or publicize them for other peoples benefit
- Helps to keep your mind sharp
- Strengthens your Emotional functions
- Helps you reach your aspirations and goals by documenting them
- Improves your communication skills
There is no better way to spend your extra time then giving back to others, and feeling good about yourself in the process.
- Gives you a sense of purpose
- Meet new people with similar beliefs
- Be part of building a better community
- Boost your self-esteem
- Great form of networking for your own career
If you love being outdoors on the water, kayaking is a great escape. Check with your local recreation department, or outdoor supply store, to see if they offer rentals. It’s a great way to see if you like it before you purchase your own.
- Low impact aerobic exercise
- Increase your vitamin D naturally by being outside in the sunshine
- Reduces stress
- Improves your focus
- Allows time for self-reflection
Grab a few of your best friends and a bottle of your favorite wine and start a book club. If you don’t want to initiate a new group, check out your library and see if there are groups posted to join.
- Gain new perspectives
- Improve your own writing skills
- Be part of a group
- Encourages critical thinking
- Improve your time management skills
20 Adventurous Activities Just For You
With these 20 adventurous activities just for you, your bound to find a start to the new you!